Sunday, September 11, 2011

Migration

In the first chapter of the book one of the things that caught my attention was the increase in people migrating to Europe. Over a period of 400 years, the population went from 95 to 729. People migrated because of increased agriculture, the increase of the industrial revolution, and because of the lessening of the plague. But also during that time, 60 million people left Europe and most of them to the United States.
Something else that stood out was the author mentioning that it was a myth that people come to the United States to find wealth from poverty. I think that even though people do sometimes come for that reason that isn’t always the case. I know people who came from other counties they weren’t poor in theirs. I have a good friend whos brother just moved to the US and their dad sends money for him to rent an apartment from Iran. I have another friend whos mom sent him money from Peru for him to buy a car. So I agree with the author about that myth.  
Also, the term “chain migration” made a lot of sense to me. My mom is from a small town in Mexico in which about 700 people used to live about 25 years ago. Now, only about 300 people are left. People started coming to the US, and brining their family members. It reminded me of it because people don’t just come all at once, they come one at a time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment