Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chapter 2 English Immigrants in America

I never knew when the United States took the first census. I noticed that they it was only blacks and whites that were counted. I wonder if it was only don’t by skin color because those were the only options.  About 80 percent of the population was white.  After reading that I looked at the census page for 2010 and I read that 6% of the population didn’t actually put a race, they put “some other race”. So I don’t know how accurate the census is when it comes to peoples race. I remember being confused when filling out that section.

The author mentioned how it can take people a while to save money to immigrate to another county. He also mentioned how it was expensive to transport a whole family and how some British families wouldn’t be able to afford it. I think that in that aspect things are still the same. For example, when people come to the US today, sometimes they have to pay to get into the country illegally, or they have to travel to another country to then come to the US.  

No comments:

Post a Comment